Sunday, August 13, 2023

Expectations of Dakar

As I flew across the Atlantic from Washington, DC to Dakar, Senegal, I jotted down my thoughts on what might be awaiting me over the next three years:  

  1. In many ways, I’m struggling to know what to expect.  Dakar has been called the “Paris of West Africa,” yet many argue that title is overblown.  Senegal is very much a developing country.  Therefore keeping expectations low and being pleasantly surprised seems like the best approach.
  2. I may have to guard against comparing Senegal to my first Foreign Service experience in Kenya in East Africa.
  3. For the first time in my foreign service career, I will be able to enjoy local peanut butter.
  4. Even though I’ll be living in Africa, I’ll be breaking out pants and light sweaters during Senegal’s winter season.
  5. Eventually, I will feel confident in saying I’m fluent in French.
  6. Taking full advantage of tailors, I will acquire a dozen new outfits in fabulous African patterns.
  7. I will confront America’s role in the slave trade from an entirely new perspective.
  8. I expect to witness a tolerant form of Islam, with unique Senegalese influence.
  9. Hopefully, I will add some new activity to my wheelhouse.  Maybe surfing or sand volleyball, due to Dakar’s coastal location?

One thing's for sure:  I'm excited to move overseas and chronicle my adventures in this blog! 

Dakar's Monument de la Renaissance

No comments:

Post a Comment